DIY Hologram: Best tutorial to build a 3D hologram pyramid!
From our STAR Maker: Nitin Vasanth
Have you been wanting to do a DIY project at home since a long time and procrastinating so far? Well, this is as simple as it gets. So get off that couch and MAKE! :)
Ever wanted to watch videos/pictures in 3D without using glasses? This tutorial will teach you to make a very simple device to watch hologram videos on your smartphone or tablet. All you need for this is some stationary and 5 minutes of your day! And then you can watch hologram projections from your phone and be amazed.
What are the stuff required to do this?
- 0.5mm thick transparent acrylic/plastic sheet. (You can use plastic sheets used in packaging)
- Access to printer (if possible)
- Cutting Knives
- Clear cellotape
How does it work?
The DIY hologram pyramid is a simple device which can be made by manipulating a sheet of plastic into the shape of a pyramid with its top cut off. The device creates a 3D like illusion for the viewer and makes an image or video to appear in mid air. It works on the principle of Pepper’s Ghost. For this, four symmetrically opposite variations of the same image are projected on to the four faces of the pyramid. By principle, each side projects the image falling on it, to the centre of the pyramid. These projections work in unison to form a whole figure which creates a 3D illusion.
Steps for making the DIY Hologram Pyramid:
NOTE: If you do not have access to a printer, you can also make a template on your own. Draw a basic “Trapezoid” on a piece of paper using these dimensions. Parallel sides= 1cm, 6cm & other two sides= 4.5cm each. You can always double or triple the dimensions in proportion to use on a larger display.
2. Trace out the shape on the plastic sheet using a ruler and pen. For the trapezoid template, trace out four similar outlines on the plastic sheet. Now carefully cut out the outlines with a cutting blade and ruler. Try to achieve the cuts as precisely as possible for a perfect pyramid.
3. If you have used the printout template: Score the red edges very lightly using a cutting blade. This will allow you to fold the edges better and form a pyramid shape. Stick the open edges of the sheet together using clear cellotape.
If you have used the trapezoid template: Join the four edges to form a pyramid shape. Stick them together.
4. That’s it. You have made yourself a hologram pyramid! All you have to do now is play a hologram video in your phone. Place the hologram pyramid in the middle of your screen like shown in the below figure. And enjoy the show. Don’t forget to switch off the lights in the room before you start playing the video.
You can find plenty of hologram videos on YouTube. One such link is given below:
We had a bit of fun with our pyramid and you can see the pictures and video below!! :)
Keep your laziness at bay and start making!! :)
Engineering student, tinkerer and maker!!